Monday, 11 June 2012

Kaos Aeon – Tyranny: The Hysteria Manifesto



My head hurts and my eyes feel heavy. Tyranny: The Hysteria Manifesto (super pretentious album title, by the way) is easily one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. If you thought Morbid Angel's “Heretic” album was boring, you ain't seen nothing yet. When it comes to the levels of boredom Kaos Aeon engenders, they're like the Alcest of death metal. Apparently, this album is supposed to tell this epic story, but just like all the epics of old, they're just as padded and boring. Except for Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh is the epic for people who don't like epic-length epics. But I digress.

The production was handled wrong. Everything has a slightly muffled quality that makes the listener feel very sleepy. This album is filled with riffs I've heard done better elsewhere. What's really infuriating is that they take what could have been great riffs and slather them in an extra helping of boring. The drums are obviously programmed and they hardly make any sort of presence. The growls are completely run-of-the-mill. They don't exert themselves at all. The low-pitched clean vocals are even worse. The guy sounds like he just took an entire bottle of melatonin.

Then there are the symphonic elements. Talk about polishing a turd. They don't do anything to make the music better. They're just a cheap distraction and they pad out the album to an unnecessary degree. Fleshgod Apocalypse, you are not. I actually feel kinda bad for these guys, because they genuinely tried to make something great and memorable. It's too bad they've been spending too much time swimming in the Boring Strait.

The album's only saving grace are the guitar solos. These solos are absolutely wild and ferocious, one might even call them “fucking awesome”, but after all the filler I had to suffer through, it's too little too late. The forces of Boredom were too strong. They should have just called this “Filler: The Boredom Manifesto”. It's a good thing I downloaded this album, otherwise I would have pissed away 15 dollars on overdrawn, uninteresting fluff.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
I'm A Metalhead powered by blogger.com
Design by Simple Diamond Blogger Templates