Death released Scream Bloody Gore back in 1987 and it took the metal underground by storm. Everyone wanted to make an album that was as brutal as Scream Bloody Gore. Nomenclature Diablerie was one such band. They're from Australia, and although the country would later go on to become a major death metal hub, the scene did not yet exist when the band was formed. They released a tiny two-song demo, simply named 888, before they faded into obscurity. Quite a shame, because this demo is a real gem.
I get the feeling that Nomenclature Diablerie started off playing thrash metal but later moved on to death metal when they heard Death. They still use thrash metal riffs and thrash metal song structures, but the typical thrash metal shouts are much deeper in pitch and the riffs are lower in tone. The riffs are still well-played, though. I can't find any sloppiness in the performance. As is typical with early death metal, they make sure to include some sweet solos. There's even this special moment at the midway point of “Premature Creation” where everything slows down and the guitars play some somber clean chords.
The drums are no slouch either. They alternate between a more mid-paced beat to a rapid blast beat with lots of fills. Again, there's no sloppiness and they don't skip a beat. I've heard a lot of people complaining about the vocals drowning out everything else, but I've listened to it many times and, to be honest, the problem isn't that bad. Since this is a demo, the production is obviously lo-fi, thus explaining the overpowering vocals. Again, the problem isn't as bad as it is on some other demos I've heard.
I've said this once before but I'll say it again: why is it that the bands with the most potential always die before they can unleash that potential? I wish I could hear more of Nomenclature Diablerie. I've heard rumors that they reformed in 2007, but they haven't released anything new yet. I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

0 comments:
Post a Comment