Thursday, 2 August 2012

The Oatmeal's Comic on the State of the Music Industry

The Oatmeal recently posted a great new comic about the state of the music industry and how much it has change in just the past decade. The comic pretty much speaks for itself, but just for fun, I'll throw in my own comments in regards to the topic as well.

In the final panel, he suggests a new system whereby you can download an album directly from the artist for a price the artist feels is fair. I think we already have that system. It's called Bandcamp. This comic also shows just how much the paradigm has shifted. Thanks to the internet, the consumers have the power now. No longer are people willing to spend twenty dollars on an album full of shit just to listen to one song they like. The big media conglomerates are no longer the gate keepers of culture. They are no longer able to control what the masses consume. They are no longer able to say, "The only path to heaven is through me."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
I'm A Metalhead powered by blogger.com
Design by Simple Diamond Blogger Templates