I've decided to start a new column called "Discography Slog", where I listen to a band's entire discography (or as many albums as I can find on the internet) and record my thoughts as I listen to it. The first victim band is Virus of Cock Koch!
Virus of Koch is a Greek black metal band that released five demos between 1998 and 2002 and haven't released anything since. Their first demo is oddly called Final Laughter. My favorite aspects would have to be the guitars. They're imbued with such melody and power, which is best displayed on the songs "Final Laughter" and "Crystal Dream". Unfortunately, this is ruined by the cheap drum machine. I really hate the drum machine. It's nowhere near as bad as Mortician's drum machine, but it's still bad. The demo ends with a cover of Kreator's "Phobia". This song came from the Outcast album. I hate that album, so it's no surprise this song sucks.
The second demo, Thy Azure Hast Bled, has much thinner production than the last album, thus making the guitars much weaker. Believe it or not, the drum machine has actually gotten worse. Listen to the outro and you'll see just how bad it is. On top of all that, the frontman still can't do proper black metal vocals. Also, the songs are longer than they were on the last demo. That just means more filler. I would browse the internet for a bit and then I would ask myself, "When's this song gonna end?"
Word Of The High One is the last album of theirs I have. I can't find the last two. It has much better production than the previous two albums, but the drum machine still sounds like ass. This demo is only nine minutes long, but it feels much longer than that. The demo eventually ended, and I breathed a sigh of relief. I thought it would never end.
That was Virus of Koch, ladies and gentlemen! They may have great lead guitar work, but their drum machine sounds like shit and their songs don't know when to end.

0 comments:
Post a Comment